Veterans Information


The Northwest School of Wooden Boatbuilding is designated


Washington State has welcomed home thousands of military personnel. Through their service, this force of volunteer men and women have earned many entitlements; yet all too often these veterans transition home and in their desire to return to civilian life, quickly lose sight of the available services. As a designated Veteran Supportive Campus by the Washington State Department of Veterans Affairs, we are committed to ensuring veterans are successful by providing resources including:

  • Veteran Supportive Staff
  • VetCorps Member
  • Approved to receive GI Bill tuition funds
  • Veteran Advisory Committee
  • Veteran designated office space
  • Available information and resources specific for veterans
  • Quarterly veteran student meet-ups
  • Workshops on accessing veteran benefits and services
  • Veteran specific employment services


We are Approved for Veterans’ GI Education Benefits

us-flagEducation benefits are available to U.S. Military Veterans through the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) benefits and services. The school is not able to tell you what benefits you are eligible to receive. You must contact the VA for information about your benefits. To obtain this information, visit To apply for benefits online, you may complete a VONAPP (Veterans Online Application) at or download and complete VA Form 22-1990 (Application for VA Education Benefits) and mail it to the VA. All instructions are included with the form.

For specific GI Bill questions, or to receive VA From 22-1990 by mail, please contact the VA at 1-888-442-4551.

Applicants should forward a copy of their Certificate of Eligibility (COE) and Certificate of Release and Discharge (DD Form 214) with their completed enrollment application to:

Richard Johanson, Admissions Coordinator
360-385-4948 ext. 305


Frequently Asked Questions


Will the Post 9/11 GI Bill (Chapter 33) cover the cost of the Boat School programs?

Yes, the school is approved by the VA to receive GI Bill funds for tuition. The school will bill the VA directly for the cost of tuition.


How do I use the GI Bill at the school?

You must first apply for your benefit. You will then receive a letter called a Certificate of Entitlement or COE. You will provide a copy of the COE to the school with your application. The COE verifies your entitlement to the school and verifies that VA can be billed for your tuition. The COE confirms the percentage of the full benefit that you are entitled to, the months of education you are entitled to, and the timeframe within which you must use the benefit.


How do I apply for the GI Bill?

There are two ways to apply, on-line or by filling out a paper form and sending it in.

You can apply on-line via the VA’s “ebenefits” internet portal and VONAPP (veteran on-line applications) at

You can also apply by downloading and completing  VA form 22-1990,  and mailing it to VA. All instructions are included with the form.


Will Vocational Rehabilitation & Employment (VR&E, Chapter 31) cover the cost of the Boat School programs?

The school is also set-up to receive payment through VA Vocational Rehabilitation (Voc Rehab, Chapter 31). Only veterans with a VA service-connected disability rating can apply for this benefit. You may apply on-line at and VONAPP (Veteran On-line Applications). You may also apply by completing VA form 28-1900 and mailing it to the VA. To use this benefit, your education program must be approved by your Voc Rehab Case Manager. You must work with your case manager to meet the requirements for approval. Your case manager will notify the school via VA form 28-1905 that your program is approved.


How does the GI Bill provide money for living expenses?

Once your school certifies to VA that you are enrolled, you will receive a monthly housing allowance to help with living expenses. The amount is equivalent to the Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) at the E-5 with Dependents level, according to the location of the school.  If you are entitled to 100% of the GI Bill Benefit, and you are attending school full-time, you will receive the full BAH amount each month. All programs at the NWSWB require attendance at a full-time level.  If your entitlement is less than 100%, you will receive an amount prorated according to the percentage of your entitlement. For example, 70% entitlement would provide 70% of the BAH amount. It is important to know that the housing allowance is paid only for the days that you are actually enrolled in school. This means that the amount will be prorated for any month when there is a break between terms.


 How do I get my stipend for books from the GI Bill?

The Post 9/11 GI Bill provides $1000 per year for books and supplies. The funds are deposited directly to your account. The amount paid is $41.67 per credit hour per term, until the $1000 limit is reached for the school year.

Can I apply for and receive Federal Student Aid while using the GI Bill?

Yes, you may also apply for and receive Federal Financial Aid to assist with your expenses while attending school. You may do so on-line at

Are the funds I receive from the GI Bill taxable?

No, the benefits you receive for tuition and housing allowance are not taxable.


The Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship (Fry Scholarship)

is available for children and spouses of Service members who died in the line of duty while serving on active duty on or after September 11, 2001. Children may use benefits until their 33rd birthday; and spouses’ eligibility ends at the earlier of 15 years from the date of death or the date of remarriage. See fact sheet for more detailed information. Eligible beneficiaries attending school may receive up to 36 months of benefits. This includes full in-state tuition & fees for public schools, and private or foreign school tuition & fees are capped at a statutory maximum amount per academic year. Additionally, students may receive a monthly housing allowance and stipend for books & supplies.

Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance (DEA)

offers education and training benefits to the spouses and children of veterans who are permanently and totally disabled due to a service-related condition, veterans who died while on active duty, or who died as a result of a service-related condition. Children must generally use benefits between the ages of 18 and 26; and spouses generally have a 10 year period in which to use benefits, or a 20 year period for spouses of Service members who die on active duty or veterans that receive a permanent and total rating effective within 3 years of release from active duty. Benefits may be used for degree and certificate programs, apprenticeships, and/or on-the-job training. See DEA pamphlet for more detailed information.


Additional Support

For questions or support, please contact our veteran supportive staff.

Rita Frangione, Veteran Resources & VET Connect

Rita is the Veterans Outreach Coordinator for Vet Connect, a local veteran service group associated with Olympic Community Action Programs. Rita has over 30 years experience as a vocational rehabilitation counselor working in medical, industrial, private and non-profit settings. She is retired from the US Department of Veterans Affairs where she counseled disabled veterans in their planning for education, training and employment. Rita has a Master of Science degree in Vocational Rehabilitation from the University of Wisconsin-Stout and is a Certified Rehabilitation Counselor.

Jon Ferguson, VetCorps Member

Jon is a veteran and 2015 Boat School Alum from the Traditional Large Craft program. Jon brings a life full of experience to his role supporting students that are military veterans during their time at the school.