Students will be introduced to diesel engines and how they operate. Each student wills be provided a Beta diesel engine to work on during the course. Students will learn in-depth about fuel systems and get practical experience performing hands-on engine maintenance tasks. Working on these functioning engines, students will learn how to diagnose and troubleshoot common problems. Students will also learn how to properly install an engine and how to recognize faulty installations.
The school will provide engines and components for demonstrations and hands-on practice, troubleshooting, and test running. Students will have access to amp meters and multimeters for electrical troubleshooting. The school provides an engine installation mock-up for training. Students are recommended to bring basic mechanical tools (wrenches, sockets, and screwdrivers) to help alleviate shared tool use.
The Marine Systems Intensives provide both conceptual and hands-on instruction. Students will handle system components, watch demonstrations, learn to describe a system’s components and how they function, and will be able to perform specific tasks using industry best practices
Students learn how to:
- Identify the key components of diesel engine systems.
- Describe what causes combustion in a diesel engine system and how to identify key differences between gas and diesel engines.
- Recognize failed, damaged, or worn components.
- Identify all the components in a diesel full system and what function each serves.
- Describe proper installation of fuel system and identify appropriate materials to use in the system.
- Bleed the air out of the system.
- Identify problems common to diesel engines.
- Use reference materials to help with diagnosis.
- Diagnose and repair common problems with diesel engines.
- Properly perform common maintenance tasks for engine systems.
If minimum enrollment is not met our policy is to cancel a class 14 days before the start date. A full refund will be given in the event a workshop is cancelled by the school. Please keep this policy in mind when making your travel arrangements.
Intensives Cancellation Policy by Student:
A student may cancel enrollment without cause. The cancellation notice must be in writing. If a student cancels prior to the start of the course, the school may retain a registration fee of $100. If the student cancels during the course, the following refund schedule will apply:
|If the student completes this amount of training:||The School will keep this percentage of the tuition:|
|One day or up to 10%, whichever is less;||10% Retained|
|More than one day (or 10%), whichever is less, but less than 25%;||25% Retained|
|25% through 50%;||50% Retained|
|More than 50%;||100% Retained|
Before your intensive start date, you will receive an email with additional information about the course, including where to meet, what to bring, what to wear, and local lunch options.
Please be aware that a negative covid test and masking may be required for your course. More details will be shared as your course date approaches